Social media refers to the means of interactions among people in which they create, share, and/or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks.
Key Principles for Social Media Managers:
- Social media is about conversations, community, connecting with the audience and building relationships. It is not just a broadcast channel or a sales and marketing tool.
- Authenticity, honesty and open dialogue are key.
- Social media not only allows you to hear what people say about you, but enables you to respond. Listen first, speak second.
- Be compelling, useful, relevant and engaging. Don’t be afraid to try new things, but think through your efforts before kicking them off.
Popular Social Media Tools and Platforms:
- Blogs: A platform for casual dialogue and discussions on a specific topic or opinion.
- Facebook: The world’s largest social network, with more than 1.55 billion monthly active users (as of the third quarter of 2015). Users create a personal profile, add other users as friends, and exchange messages, including status updates. Brands create pages and Facebook users can “like” brands’ pages.
- Twitter: A social networking/micro-blogging platform that allows groups and individuals to stay connected through the exchange of short status messages (140 character limit).
- YouTube/Vimeo: Video hosting and watching websites.
- Instagram: A free photo and video sharing app that allows users to apply digital filters, frames and special effects to their photos and then share them on a variety of social networking sites.
- LinkedIn: A place where groups of professionals with similar areas of interest can share information and participate in a conversations.